Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Case Studies: TV rots kids brains (excerpt 'Raising Nick' re: selfishness)


Background: Me standing on the counter top of Nick's bathroom sink painting an airplane....teetering on tippy-toes 'cuz I have vertical accessibility issues...Nick laying on the bathroom rug staring at the ceiling pestering me to finish the plane and start the clouds on the ceiling.

Nick: Mom- be careful! You're going to fall and I don't want you to get hurt.

Me: I'm not going to fall but thank you.
(Thinking to myself 'perfect opportunity for a 911 refresher')

Me: Do you know what to do if I fall and can't get up or if you see someone sleeping and they don't wake up?

Nick: Yes.

Me: What?

Nick: I call 9 1 1.

Me: Good. Do you know your address?

Nick. Yes. It's (includes hand signs) THE 3 O 5...

Me: ....where did you learn that nonsense? Did Tia Nicole teach you that?

Nick: I saw it on my TV when I was 4 years old.

(Note: when Nick refers to memories, he includes 'when I was '..IDK)

Me: TV is bad. It rots your brain. 3 ZERO 5 is our area code but it's not our address. Our address is XXXXXXXXXXX.

Time lapse: 5 minutes, practicing address

Nick: Mom- if I call 9 1 1, do I get a medal like that kid on TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A wise friend once told me that the key to happiness was to 'Say what you mean and mean what you say'.