Friday, May 29, 2009

It's the Little Things that Count! (excerpt 'Raising Nick,' re: friendships)

Background info: Nick sitting at dining room table, coloring.

Me: That's nice. Is that for me?

Nick: No, Mom; this is for Celeste.

Me: Celeste?

Nick: Yes, mom. Look what happened: Talyana was coloring and she didn't know how to color something so Celeste helped her and when Talyana was done, she gave her paper to Jazmin.

Me: So?

Nick: Celeste was sad that Talyana didn't give it to her. She put her head down on her desk and started to cry because she was sad.

Me: I guess that wasn't so nice, huh?

Nick: No. That's why I'm coloring this for Celeste- so she is happy.

..........

Wise beyond his years, this kid. I'm amazed by the lessons I learn from him and proud that at such a young age, he already knows how to be a selfless friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A wise friend once told me that the key to happiness was to 'Say what you mean and mean what you say'.