Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Poor Uterus

I'm pretty sure my husband has lost his mind. No- really, he has.

Gus loves kids. I knew that within moments of meeting him, well actually Nick did. Granted Nick will engage anyone in a conversation but the day I met my husband, Nick chatted up a storm with him and Gus loved every minute. My husband was genuinely enthralled with Nick and vice-versa, so much so that I can count the words I personally spoke to Gus that night on one hand. It's funny how many men try to worm their way into a woman's life by smooth talking their children. I say it's funny because it's always so obviously forced that it's pathetic.

In my husband's case, everyone could tell he was genuine and I admit it's one of the reasons that I opened up the dating door for Gus. In hindsight, I'm glad that I did.

Except, that is, when he makes comments regarding future inhabitants of my uterus.

When we were pregnant with Viv, he asked the OBGYN if there were any fertility drugs that I could take that would produce multiples 'the next time' around. ... Both the doctor and I did a Scooby-esque 'Aroo,' with the doc responding 'finish with this one first.' His excitement was cute but I never thought he was serious....although he later had me eating cassava and drinking nothing but whole milk for the entire 6 month waiting period before trying to conceive again.

Fast forward a little over a year and our daughter will turn one on the same day I reach the halfway point with our current pregnancy. She will be 16 months old when her sister makes her grand appearance. I figure three children will be manageable....even with two under the age of 2.

As it is, my calendar is full. I care for the kids. I run my husband's company. I run our home + this pregnancy has kicked me in the butt. My hands are full.... OF LOVE, but there's still room for the one scheduled to arrive in May.

There is not, however, room for a 4th or so on. So, naturally, you can imagine my concern when he mentioned trying for #4 in a year or two.

How do people do it? Moreover, how do the mothers of triplets+ do it?

If I didn't think it would put a serious strain on our marriage, I would ask the doctor to snip/tie/BURN those magical tubes before he closes me up after this C-section. Gus would be seriously disappointed, though. I won't even go into his reaction to vasectomy talks.

I'll tell you one thing, it's going to take a whole lotta diamonds, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and quite possibly a Porsche BUNCH of convincing on his part for me to even consider being a human cocoon again.

Three children is more than enough, right?

1 comment:

A wise friend once told me that the key to happiness was to 'Say what you mean and mean what you say'.